69b9020515a885ffd7859c571ecd7fa3

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Antonym and Synonym Matchup

Our story next week is Tops and Bottoms, by Janet Stevens. 

To review antonyms and synonyms, I am going to give each child a card that has a word on it. They have to find the students that have the synonyms and antonyms that go with their word. Once the teams have found each other, they have to write an explanation that describes their relationships........what makes them antonyms and synonyms of each other.

This makes them think a little bit more than if they were only matching up with either a synonym OR an antonym. Click on the link below to download the activity.



Please leave a comment! Have a great rest of the weekend.

6 comments:

  1. do you teach 3rd grade in Florida??? that was in our treasures series...my kids love that story! I've done it with my 2nd graders this year already when we were talking about plants

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bunches! I love this story and the activity makes it even better. I teach in second grade in Georgia. We had Tops & Bottoms in our third grade SF series, but we also have a copy of the book in my classroom library. I think this is an awesome activity for ELA...read the book, use the activity. Happy weekend...thanks again!

    Melly<><

    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be a great activity to introduce synonyms and antonyms to my class! I might make it a concentration type game when it moves to my centres though, thank you for sharing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm using this as a state test review activity! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Our district just used Tops and Bottoms as an exemplar text for Common Core Training! I just might use this next week.

    faithfulinfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete